Sunday, August 3, 2008

SanDestin with Man and G












My mom and stepdad took me and the kids to the beach with them a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to share the trip with you. First of all, I have never been on a vacation with my children. Sounds horrible I know, but Brad and I were always "scared" if you will. I must admit it was very tiring, but so worth it too. Mom and I spent most of the time with them while Mike was in meetings. And for the record, Mike is called Man because he would never come up with a name for himself. So mom and I jokingly called him Man and it has stuck. Mom is called G because I wanted her to be called Gran and Benton couldn't say it at first so G is who she became.
I must say riding with 2 small children in a car for 6 hours must automatically qualify for a high dosage prescription of some sort of sedative. You shouldn't even have to see a doctor to get it. Xanax, Valuim...we aren't picky. And we can do it for the adults or the children. You would think having a DVD player in the car would help, but WHATEVER! Thank goodness I get car sick easily and mom had to sit in the back with the kids. Sorry mom!!! She has way more patience than me. Between "mama are we there yet?" from Benton and Bailey bowing her back trying to eject herself from her carseat I almost went crazy...and I was riding shotgun. So when we finally arrived at the hotel we let them out and said run as far as you can and come back...we will try to keep an eye on you. Not really, but that was our feelings at the time.
We really had a good time and I highly recommend everyone going to Baytowne Wharf in SanDestin. You don't have to leave the village...ever. There are like 8 restaurants, shopping and late night entertainment. They have children's entertainment every night and plenty of drinks for the parents. :) Benton is very into playing the drums and guitar. One night there was a band that totally catered to the small children. They had tamborines and blow up guitars. Benton wanted to sign autographs I think. Anyway, I can't tell you how amazing it was to watch all of those children get so into what was going on. It was adult music with child entertainment.
We didn't do the beach except to take pictures one day. Benton couldn't stand the thought of the sand getting in his shoes (a little OCD like his mama although I love the beach) and Bailey hated the waves. So we just went over one morning for pictures and that was it. The rest of the time we were at the pool. The pool was great because it was one that gradually got deeper. Bailey being the fearless one would walk out and before we knew it was "drowning" because she thought she could just walk and walk without ever going under. Benton on the other hand would hardly go past his waist without adult supervision. He is sooooooo cautious. One of their favorite things to do is a cannonball. Benton would go first and then Bailey. Of course, as they are jumping in they have to yell "cannonball". But when Bailey jumps in she says "Mannonball". Mom and I have never laughed so hard.
For those of you that remember Adrienne Simmons or still keep in touch with her, I re-met her brother one night. We were talking and I asked him where he was from and when he said Dothan I instantly remembered his face. He works at one of the nice restaurants in the village. He said Adrienne is married with 3 children and if I remember correctly living in B'ham. It was so strange running into someone I actually "knew".
Anyway, enough rambling...I am adding some pics from the trip.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the blog!!! I keep up with several different people!..I love looking at them!..Benton and Bailey are soooo adorable!!.....Robyn